This procedure will outline the process for releasing a prospective driver as a qualified driver of pumping apparatus.
Driver Improvement Program Trainer An individual who is certified as a Pumper Driver Operator and is at the rank of Technician II or above and has attended the Driver Improvement Program (DIP) Train the Trainer class.
Prospective Driver An individual that has completed a Pumper Driver Operator class, completed all non-emergency and emergency driving as outlined in FRA Procedure 5.1.7 and is now ready to be evaluated for qualified driver status.
- Upon completion of the requirements set forth in FRA Procedure 5.1.7, the station officer will contact the operations representative from the System Wide Advanced Training Group within the Training Division to schedule a time for the prospective driver to be evaluated.
- The Training Division will contact the staffing office to secure a Battalion DIP Trainer to assist with the evaluation process. Availability of this person will be based on staffing levels in the Operations Division.
- The Training DIvision will contact the Staffing Office to secure a Battalion DIP Trainer to assist with the evaluation process. Availability of this person will be based on staffing levels in the Operations Division.
- The Training Division will make arrangements to provide a fill-in crew in order that the entire engine company can accompany the prospective driver to assist with the evaluation process.
- Evolutions will be evaluated as Pass/Fail with critical performance items identified on the evaluation form.
- All evaluation forms will be kept at the Training Division as a part of the individual's training record.
- Upon successful completion of the evaluation process, the Training DIvision will provide documentation to the station officer that the prospective driver has passed the evaluation process to become a qualified driver. The station officer will then forward the provided documentation to the Staffing Office directing the employee's Telestaff profile to be changed reflecting the new driver status.
- In the event a prospective driver is unsuccessful, the individual will be required to complete additional training at their station and schedule another evaluation date after a two-week time period has passed.
- In the event that a prospective driver is unsuccessful a second time, the Station Officer and Battalion Chief will determine a course of action for the prospective driver.
- Station officer
- Assure prospective driver meets the standards set forth in FRA Procedure 5.1.7.
- Schedule with the Training Division a time to evaluate the prospective driver.
- Forward successful documentation to the Staffing Office.
- Training Division
- Schedule with the station officer a time to evaluate the prospective driver.
- Serve as an evaluator and in other roles as needed for the evaluation process.
- Make arrangements with the Staffing Office for a Battalion DIP Trainer to assist with the evaluation process.
- Provide a fill-in crew for the engine company while the evaluation process is conducted.
- Provide the station officer with documentation of successful completion.
- File the evaluation forms in the prospective driver's training file at the PSA.
- Staffing Office
- Make arrangements to provide a Battalion DIP Trainer to assist the Training Division based on operational staffing for the day.
- Update the Telestaff profile of the employee upon notification by the station officer of successful completion of the evaluation process.