- establishes a Department Vehicle Safety Review Board and defines its purpose, responsibilities, duties and members.
- incorporates the objectives of the Department's traffic safety and accident policy.
- establishes corrective training, loss of driving privileges and/or discipline for preventable Department apparatus/vehicle accidents, and for certain infractions of Department General Orders, Directives, practices and procedures.
- becomes effective April 24, 1996.
- A determination of a preventable or non preventable Department vehicle accident is for ascertaining proper administrative action, if any. It is not a determination of criminal or civil liability on the part of the operator/driver or Department.
- An accident will be considered preventable if, after review of the circumstances and factors, the operator/driver involved fails to exercise precautions consistent with his or her responsibilities and/or training.
- All operators/drivers of any apparatus/vehicle or equipment involved in any accident, resulting in injury to any person, or any preventable accident resulting in significant damage, must comply with General Order 87-008 Substance Abuse: Drugs/Alcohol.
- When complying with Section IV, No. 4 of General Order 87-008 Substance Abuse: Drugs/Alcohol, the immediate supervisor shall secure an I.R. Number as outlined in General Order 90-004 Disciplinary Procedure, for conducting an investigation.
- In making a determination as to what is significant damage, the assessment shall take into consideration damage to any, and all vehicles and/or property. Although they attribute no fixed dollar amount to the term "significant," the total property hamage must be more than minor, and involve estimated expenditures of greater than inconsequential amounts of money to effectuate repair.
- All officers (acting or certified) shall ensure that their operators/drivers shall adhere to the provisions of the Order. It shall be the responsibility of all officers to follow any and all post accident directives issued by the Department Vehicle Safety Review Board.
To improve the safety of members while riding, operating or driving apparatus/vehicles, the Department may cause corrective training, and/or loss of driving privileges and/or progressive discipline in sustained cases, depending on the severity of one or all of the following: negligence, carelessness, disregard of department directives concerning vehicle safety, which lead to a preventable accident on the part of the operator/driver, or if they determine that an immediate supervisor permitted the operation/driving of a vehicle in any of the before mentioned manner. Vehicles as designated herein include all department vehicles and apparatus.
Department Vehicle Safety Review Board Members and Board's Purpose
The Department Vehicle Safety Review Board shall consist of the following members:
|Chairman:||Director, Health & Safety Division|
|Vice Chairperson:||Assistant Director, Apparatus Maintenance, Repair and Supply|
|Other Members:||Deputy District Chief
Assistant Director, Training Division
Coordinator, Engineer Training
Coordinator, E.M.S. Training
The Department Vehicle Safety Review Board's purpose and objectives shall be as follows:
- Ensure the safety of members while riding, operating or driving Department apparatus/vehicles.
- Reduce the frequency of Department apparatus/vehicle accidents.
- Reduce the severity of Department apparatus/vehicle accidents.
- Thoroughly review all Department apparatus/vehicle accidents that have been classified as "preventable" by the accident investigation team.
- Thoroughly review all Department apparatus/vehicle accidents that they have determined were caused by a violation of Department General Orders, Directives, practices and procedures.
- Recommends corrective training and/or loss of driving privileges, and/or progressive discipline, dependent on the severity of the incident.
Corrective Training/Loss of Driving Privileges/Discipline
Where sustained cases of carelessness, negligence, and/or disregard of Department General Orders, Directives, practices and procedures relative to vehicle safety which led to a preventable accident on the part of the operator/driver, or if it is determined that an immediate supervisor permitted the operation/driving of an apparatus/vehicle in the before mentioned manner, the Department Vehicle Safety Review Board may recommend corrective training, loss of driving privileges and/or progressive discipline applicable to the incident.